Thursday 17 September 2009

Mobility Scooter Madness in Gravesend

Strange things going on in Gravesend (as ever?). A young able bodied lad is causing a bit of a stir with his mobility scooter. Sam Scutts, a 17 year old media student, has taken to travelling around town on a second hand mobility scooter. This wouldn't have been much of a story if the local constabulary hadn't decided scooter riding was anti social behavior. While driving through Gravesend town cenre in June young Mr Cutts was pounced on by five, yes five, members of the local plod.

"They threatened to arrest me for dangerous driving, add three points to my provisional driving licence, tow away the scooter and fine me £110", said Sam.

"I was shocked by the police reaction because I was not doing anything wrong.

"I wasn’t driving dangerously, I was driving around people and stopping to let them pass, and the fastest I can go is walking pace.

"And there’s nothing illegal about me driving the scooter - I checked and its not against the law to drive one if you’re not disabled."

The story has a happy ending though, as after hearing of his plight a local garage took pity on him and his rather tatty looking scooter and "pimped his ride", buffing and filling the body work and adding a rather snazzy blue paint job.

Sam said: "It looks like a new scooter, I was shocked when I first saw it.

"It is electric blue all over, and all the panels have been rebuilt.

"We’re not sure what we’re going to do with it. We might auction it for charity."

No comments:

Post a Comment